Monday, February 9, 2009

What are you doing? Are you insane?

What am I doing? Why am I doing this? Am I some crunchy earth-mother angry at chemicals and corporations? No, I'm just a normal, lazy, slightly chubby, very oily 28 year old woman who found as she aged her skin has gotten more and more sensitive.

For Example:
  • I can't use normal toothpaste, since I react to the SLS and get mouth ulcers.
  • I can't get piercings anymore. What was once a sensitivity to cheap metal earrings has progressed to a complete inability to heal around piercings.
  • I am allergic to the sun. When I go outside without covering or sunscreen I will get little hives that peel off and leave me with a little white spot in my tan. Awesome, right?
  • Most deodorants/antiperspirants make my poor underarm skin break out too.
  • Since changing from BC pills and the Nuva Ring to Mirena 3 years ago, I've broken out like a teenager. I've seen two derms and neither of them have been able to help.
I've made a few changes already:
  • I've been using Tom's of Maine natural toothpaste for years, and narry an ulcer. My husband can't stand the stuff, so he uses Arm and Hammer.
  • I've changed my makeup to entirely Mineral Makeup, except mascara and liquid liner
  • I've found that the only thing that helps my acne is to use a mask of honey and ground aspirin, but it can also dry out the not-as-greasy areas of my face
  • I've given up soaping up most of my skin, mostly just the sweaty/smelly parts, and my skin has gotten a lot less dry and itchy.
But I'm still an acne-ridden grease ball, so now I'm going extreme naked skin care:
  • Hair care: Baking Soda wash and Apple Cider Vinegar rinse--NO SHAMPOO. I'm starting with a 1:4 ratio water to baking soda or ACV, pre-mixed in a bottle. I gotta tell you, they are a little cold to dump all over my head in the morning, so I may adjust my technique in the future.
  • Skin Care: Simple unscented, no-dye glycerin soap for my eye makeup and a weak honey-aspirin mask for cleansing my face. Refined jojoba oil for moisturizer.
  • Underarms: Cornstarch and Baking Soda in a 6:1 ratio delicately dusted.
I'm hoping that by using these techniques for my personal hygiene, I will cut down on the levels of grease my skin produces and reduce the acne. I am also hoping that the SLS in the shampoo and skin cleanser had some part in my acne and removing it will also help.

There are, of course, cautions with this extreme alternative to skin care. If the crunchy deodorant doesn't work, I'm gonna smell. The hair treatment often has a "transition" period in which I may look like a dirty, unwashed hippy. And, of course I may just break out and react even worse to these "natural" treatments than I am now.

But hell, I'm going on an adventure and taking you with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment